Capturing high-quality audio while filming action-packed footage is crucial for creating a professional-grade video. However, the built-in microphones on most action cameras often need to catch up when capturing clear and crisp audio. That is where an action camera microphone attachment comes in handy. In this blog, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about using an action camera microphone attachment to improve your audio quality and take your videos to the next level.
What is an Action Camera Microphone Attachment?
An action camera microphone attachment is a small accessory connecting to your action camera’s external microphone port. It allows you to capture high-quality audio while filming using a specialized microphone designed to pick up sound more clearly than the built-in microphone on your camera.
Why Use an Action Camera Microphone Attachment?
Using an action camera microphone attachment has several advantages, including:
- Improved audio quality: The specialized microphones used in these attachments are designed to capture audio with more clarity and depth than the built-in microphones on most action cameras.
- Noise reduction: Many action camera microphone attachments come with features that help reduce background and wind noise, resulting in cleaner audio.
- Versatility: Action camera microphone attachments are available in various styles and designs, including lapel microphones, shotgun microphones, and more. That allows you to choose the best option for your specific filming needs.
- Ease of use: Most action camera microphone attachments are easy to attach and use, making them an excellent option for amateur and professional videographers.
Types of Action Camera Microphone Attachments
There are several types of action camera microphone attachments available, including:
- Shotgun Microphones: These directional microphones capture audio from a specific subject or location while minimizing background noise.
- Lapel Microphones: These small microphones clip onto clothing and capture dialogue and interviews.
- Stereo Microphones: These microphones capture audio in stereo, creating a more immersive audio experience for viewers.
- USB Microphones: These microphones connect to your action camera’s USB port and are ideal for recording audio in quiet environments.
How to Choose the Right Action Camera Microphone Attachment
When choosing an action camera microphone attachment, there are several factors to consider, including:
- Compatibility: Ensure the microphone attachment is compatible with your action camera model.
- Microphone Type: Consider the type of microphone you need based on your filming requirements.
- Features: Improve audio quality by considering noise reduction, wind protection, and other enhancements.
- Budget: Determine how much you will spend, as microphone attachments range from budget-friendly to high-end professional options.
Tips for Using an Action Camera Microphone Attachment
Once you’ve chosen your action camera microphone attachment, there are a few tips to keep in mind when using it:
- Positioning: The positioning of your microphone is crucial. Be sure to place it in the optimal location to capture the best audio, such as near the subject’s mouth for dialogue or in a position to capture natural sound effects.
- Wind Protection: Wind can be a significant issue when filming outdoors. Use wind protection features like a foam windscreen or a furry wind jammer to prevent wind noise from ruining your audio.
- Battery Life: Check the battery life of your microphone attachment before filming, and bring extra batteries or a power bank if needed to ensure uninterrupted filming.
- Test Your Audio: Before starting your actual shoot, do a quick test recording to check the audio quality and ensure everything works correctly.
Popular Action Camera Microphone Attachments
There are many different action camera microphone attachments available on the market, and some popular options include the following:
- Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone: This compact shotgun microphone is designed to improve the audio quality of your action camera footage. It has a shock mount that helps reduce vibrations and a windshield to minimize wind noise.
- Movo PM10 Deluxe Lapel Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone: This lapel microphone clips onto clothing and captures clear dialogue and interviews. It has a windscreen to reduce wind noise and a convenient storage pouch.
- Sennheiser MKE 400 Shotgun Microphone: This directional microphone captures audio from a specific subject or location while minimizing background noise. It features a windscreen and shock mount to reduce unwanted noise and vibrations.
- Zoom SSH-6 Stereo Shotgun Microphone: This shotgun microphone captures audio in stereo, providing viewers with a more immersive audio experience. It also features a shock mount and switchable low-cut filter to reduce unwanted noise.
Using an action camera microphone attachment is a great way to improve the audio quality of your videos. With several types of microphones available and features like noise reduction and wind protection, a microphone attachment is perfect for your specific needs. Considering factors like compatibility, microphone type, features, and budget, you can find the best action camera microphone attachment to take your videos to the next level.